NSF REU Program In Climate and Space Science Observation (PICASSO)
The University of Michigan Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering (CLASP) is currently seeking a highly motivated, diverse and inclusive cohort of undergraduate students to participate in its summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) site program entitled: Program in Climate and Space Science Observation (PICASSO). This REU program is funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation.
The program is open to students* from any academic discipline who are interested in exploring a potential career in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields of meteorology, climate, and space sciences. Program participants will work closely with faculty, research staff, and graduate students to engage in research from a broad range of disciplines, including:
- Climate science and adaptation planning
- Atmosphere-biosphere interactions
- Aerosols, and atmospheric chemistry, and air quality
- Space-based remote sensing
- Space-weather and planetary atmospheres.
As part of the PICASSO program, student participants will also engage in the following activities while on campus:
- A mentored-guided research project, the goals of which will be designed with the participation of the students themselves
- Peer-mentoring performed by the department’s graduate students/postdoctoral fellows
- A professional development seminar series provided by faculty and staff from across the University of Michigan
- Community-building activities which will strengthen their relationships within the REU student cohort, including opportunities for community service
- An end-of-program poster fair in which students will present their works to CLASP Department faculty, student and staff
*Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent legal resident
- First day of the program: May 23, 2022*
- Last day of the program: July 30, 2022*
PROGRAM UPDATE (3/15/22):
We would like to thank all of the students who applied to our program this year. Our Summer 2022 cohort is now complete. If eligible, we encourage students to apply for our Summer 2023 program, the applications for which will be accepted starting in the early Fall.
Please direct any questions that you may have about our program to: firstname.lastname@example.org.