REU at Climate & Space
NSF REU Program In Climate and Space Science Observation (PICASSO)
The University of Michigan Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering (CLASP) is currently seeking a highly motivated, diverse and inclusive cohort of undergraduate students to participate in its summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) site program entitled: Program in Climate and Space Science Observation (PICASSO). This REU program is funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation.
The program is open to students from any academic discipline who are interested in exploring a potential career in the STEM fields of meteorology, climate, and space sciences. Program participants will work closely with faculty, research staff, and graduate students to engage in research from a broad range of disciplines, including:
- Climate science and adaptation planning
- Atmosphere-biosphere interactions
- Aerosols, and atmospheric chemistry, and air quality
- Space-based remote sensing
- Space-weather and planetary atmospheres.
As part of the PICASSO program, student participants will also engage in the following activities while on campus:
- A mentored-guided research project, the goals of which will be designed with the participation of the students themselves,
- Peer-mentoring performed by the department’s graduate/undergraduate students,
- A professional development seminar series held in collaboration with other summer programs within the University of Michigan,
- Community-building activities which will strengthen their relationships within the REU student cohort, as well as with other undergraduate groups within the university
- An end-of-program poster fair in which students will present their works to CLASP Department faculty and students.
Please Note: Offers to attend the PICASSO REU program were extended on March 1, 2020. Recipients have until March 15, 2020 to either accept or decline their offers. All applicants are still under consideration until our cohort is full.
- First date of program: May 26, 2020*
- Last date of program: August 1, 2020*
* Modifications to these dates are possible for students whose institutions have academic term ending dates which make starting on May 26, 2020 impractical.
Please continue to visit this website for updates. Thank you for your continued interest in PICASSO!
Please direct any questions that you may have about our program to