NSF REU Program In Climate and Space Science Observation (PICASSO)
The University of Michigan Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering (CLASP) is currently seeking a highly motivated, diverse and inclusive cohort of undergraduate students to participate in its summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) site program entitled: Program in Climate and Space Science Observation (PICASSO). This REU program is funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation.
The program is open to students* from any academic discipline who are interested in exploring a potential career in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields of meteorology, climate, and space sciences. Program participants will work closely with faculty, research staff, and graduate students to engage in research from a broad range of disciplines, including:
- Climate science and adaptation planning
- Atmosphere-biosphere interactions
- Aerosols, and atmospheric chemistry, and air quality
- Space-based remote sensing
- Space-weather and planetary atmospheres.
As part of the PICASSO program, student participants will also engage in the following activities while on campus:
- A mentored-guided research project, the goals of which will be designed with the participation of the students themselves
- Peer-mentoring performed by the department’s graduate students/postdoctoral fellows
- A professional development seminar series provided by faculty and staff from across the University of Michigan
- Community-building activities which will strengthen their relationships within the REU student cohort, including opportunities for community service
- An end-of-program poster fair in which students will present their works to CLASP Department faculty, student and staff
*Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent legal resident
- Application period opens: November 1, 2021
- Application period closes: January 31, 2022 (5 pm EST)
- Offers extended: March 1, 2022
- Accept/Decline deadline: March 15th, 2022 (5 pm EST)
- First day of the program: May 23, 2022*
- Last day of the program: July 30, 2022*
* Modifications to these dates are possible for students whose institutions have academic term ending dates which make starting on May 23, 2022 impractical.
HOW TO APPLY TO THE PROGRAM:
NOTE: Before you apply, please see the Application Checklist below. You will need the following documents in order to apply:
- Who is Eligible
Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent legal resident.
Eligible students must have an academic standing of sophomore, junior, or senior during the upcoming Fall 2022 semester.
While we do not have a formal grade point requirement, most successful applicants have a GPA of 2.8 or higher.
- Cover Letter
Please introduce yourself. We are not looking for a list of accomplishments, but rather a better sense of who you are. Also, please let us know where you heard about our program.
- Diversity Statement
PICASSO values diversity in all of its forms. In 500 words or less, please let us know how you feel your participation in PICASSO will contribute to the creation of a diverse and vibrant cohort of students within our program.
- Statement of Interest
In 500 words or less, please let us know what your interests are in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Additionally, please let us know how you think our program will help you to achieve your goals related to a STEM education/career.
- Grade Transcript
We are interested in learning more about your educational experiences. Please include an unofficial copy of your grade transcript.
- Contact Information of Reference Providers
We require at least one letter of reference for your application to be considered, with two letters being preferred. One of these letters of reference should be from a faculty member or research advisor. All letters should be sent directly to the following email address by those who are providing the reference: email@example.com. For our records, please provide us with the names and contact information for the individuals who will provide letters of reference, in case we need to contact them directly.
- Send in your application!
Please provide your cover letter, statement of interest, diversity statement, grade transcript and list of references as a single PDF-document and then email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: 2022 PICASSO REU by the application deadline: January 31, 2022.
Download a copy of the PICASSOApplication Checklist here.
Please direct any questions that you may have about our program to: email@example.com.