REU at Climate & Space
NSF REU Program In Climate and Space Science Observation (PICASSO)
The University of Michigan Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering (CLASP) is currently seeking a highly motivated, diverse and inclusive cohort of undergraduate students to participate in its summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) site program entitled: Program in Climate and Space Science Observation (PICASSO). This REU program is funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation.
The program is open to students from any academic discipline who are interested in exploring a potential career in the STEM fields of meteorology, climate, and space sciences. Program participants will work closely with faculty, research staff, and graduate students to engage in research from a broad range of disciplines, including:
- Climate science and adaptation planning
- Atmosphere-biosphere interactions
- Aerosols, and atmospheric chemistry, and air quality
- Space-based remote sensing
- Space-weather and planetary atmospheres.
As part of the PICASSO program, student participants will also engage in the following activities while on campus:
- A mentored-guided research project, the goals of which will be designed with the participation of the students themselves,
- Peer-mentoring performed by the department’s graduate/undergraduate students,
- A professional development seminar series held in collaboration with other summer programs within the University of Michigan,
- Community-building activities which will strengthen their relationships within the REU student cohort, as well as with other undergraduate groups within the university
- An end-of-program poster fair in which students will present their works to CLASP Department faculty and students.
The PICASSO REU program has submitted a proposal to the National Science Foundation for the purpose of renewing our program for the Summers of 2021 through 2023. A decision from the National Science Foundation on renewal is not expected until the Spring of 2021.
If our renewal proposal is successfully funded, we plan on offering a full program during the Summer of 2021. As such, we WILL be accepting proposals for a Summer 2021 PICASSO REU program on December 1, 2020. We will not extend offers until the National Science Foundation has made a decision on whether or not to fund our renewal proposal.
- Application period begins: December 1, 2020
- Application period ends: February 28, 2021
- Offers extended: March 1, 2021*
- Accept/decline deadline: March 15, 2021*
- First date of program: May 25, 2021**
- Last date of program: July 31, 2021**
*NOTE: These dates pertain if the PICASSO REU program is successfully renewed.
** Modifications to these dates are possible for students whose institutions have academic term ending dates which make starting on May 25, 2021 impractical.
Please continue to visit this website for updates. Thank you for your continued interest in PICASSO!
Please direct any questions that you may have about our program to