NSF REU Program In Climate and Space Science Observation (PICASSO)
The University of Michigan Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering (CLASP) is currently seeking a highly motivated, diverse and inclusive cohort of undergraduate students to participate in its summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) site program entitled: Program in Climate and Space Science Observation (PICASSO). This REU program is funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation.
The program is open to students* from any academic discipline who are interested in exploring a potential career in the STEM fields of meteorology, climate, and space sciences. Program participants will work closely with faculty, research staff, and graduate students to engage in research from a broad range of disciplines, including:
- Climate science and adaptation planning
- Atmosphere-biosphere interactions
- Aerosols, and atmospheric chemistry, and air quality
- Space-based remote sensing
- Space-weather and planetary atmospheres.
As part of the PICASSO program, student participants will also engage in the following activities while on campus:
- A mentored-guided research project, the goals of which will be designed with the participation of the students themselves
- Peer-mentoring performed by the department’s graduate students/postdoctoral fellows
- A professional development seminar series provided by faculty and staff from across the University of Michigan
- Community-building activities which will strengthen their relationships within the REU student cohort, including opportunities for community service
- An end-of-program poster fair in which students will present their works to CLASP Department faculty, student and staff
*Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent legal resident
PROGRAM UPDATE, 04/19/21:
Dear PICASSO Applicants:
Offers to the PICASSO REU Program have been extended and accepted, thus our 2021 cohort is now complete. We thank you for your interest in our program and, if eligible, we encourage you to apply to our program next year!
This year, our program schedule will be as follows:
- First date of program: May 24, 2021*
- Last date of program: July 30, 2021*
* Adjustments to these dates are possible for those students whose academic terms do not make the listed start/end dates practical.
Please direct any questions that you may have about our program to: email@example.com.