Declaring your Climate & Space major

University of Michigan College of Engineering students

In order to be selected to the BSE in Climate and Meteorology or BSE in Space Sciences and Engineering programs, you must meet the requirements listed below. After ensuring that you meet the requirements, please contact our Student Services Office (email: [email protected]) with a request to declare a major program. Your degree audit will be reviewed to confirm your eligibility to declare. You will be asked to set up an appointment to visit the CLaSP Undergraduate Student Services Office to complete your declaration and discuss your long-term degree plan. 


Requirements to declare a major in Climate and Meteorology or Space Sciences and Engineering:

  1. Completed at least one full term of courses at the U-M Ann Arbor Campus.
  2. Have an overall UM GPA of 2.0 or above and be in good standing.
  3. Have completed (with a C- or better) or earned credit by exam or transfer for at least one course in each of the following categories:
    1. Calculus (e.g. Math 115, 116, 156)
    2. Calculus based physics lectures (e.g. Physics 140, 160) or chemistry lectures (e.g. Chemistry 130)
    3. Required engineering courses (Engr. 100, 101, 151).

Freshman Admission

If you have not attended any institution of higher education following high school graduation, please see information on applying and admission for new freshmen at the U-M Office of Undergraduate Admissions and the College of Engineering.

As a successful applicant, you will be admitted to the first year program in the College of Engineering, where students from all disciplines follow a common program of study including calculus, physics, chemistry, and computing, as well as written and oral communication skills, and selected courses in humanities and social sciences. After successfully completing your first term in the College, you may declare CLaSP as your degree program (see above).

Transfer Admission

If you are enrolled in another U-M college or school or another two- or four-year college or university, you may apply for transfer admission. As a transfer student, you apply directly to the College of Engineering for admission to the Climate & Space program. Please contact the Office of Transfer Admissions and Recruitment for assistance.

Financial Aid

For information on financial aid and work-study programs, contact U-M’s Office of Financial Aid. For information about additional College of Engineering scholarships and aid, contact the Engineering Scholarships Office.


Contact our Student Services Office: [email protected].