Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering in the College of Engineering at the University of Michigan


Questions about the Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering program?

Contact Professor Mark Moldwin, CLASP Undergraduate Program Advisor at 734-647-3370 or

How to declare your Major in Climate & Space

Before you can declare one of the Climate & Space degree programs (B.S.E in Climate and Meteorology or B.S.E. in Space Sciences and Engineering) as your majors program, the following requirements must be met:

  1. You must have completed at least one full term of courses at the UM Ann Arbor Campus.
  2. Have an overall UM GPA of 2.0 or better and be in good standing.  Students on Probation or Enrollment Withheld cannot declare a program.
  3. Have completed (with a C or better) or earned credit by exam or transfer for at least one course in each of the following categories:
    • Calculus (e.g. Math 115, 116, 156)
    • Calculus based physics lectures (e.g. Physics 140, 160) or chemistry lectures (e.g. Chemistry 130)
    • Required engineering courses (Engr. 100, 101, 151)).

If you have met the above requirements, please email a request to declare to Lindsay Coleman ( or by telephone at 734-764-3282. Your degree audit will be reviewed to confirm your eligibility to declare. You will be asked to set up an appointment to visit the CLaSP Undergraduate Student Services Office to complete your declaration and discuss a long-term degree plan.

Freshman Admission

Information on applying and admission for new freshman, defined as an entering student who has never attended any institution of higher education following high school graduation, is available on University of Michigan Admissions Office ( and the College of Engineering Office, (Phone: 734-647-7101, email: ). As a successful applicant you will be admitted to the first year program in the College, where students from all disciplines follow a common program of study, emphasizing calculus, physics, chemistry and computing, as well as written and oral communication skills and selected courses in humanities and social science. After successfully completing your first term in the College, you may declare CLASP as your degree program.

Transfer Admission

If you are enrolled in another University of Michigan college or school or another two- or four-year college or university, you may apply for transfer admission. Unlike first year students, transfer students apply directly to the College of Engineering for admission to the Climate & Space program. The Office of Transfer Admissions and Recruitment , (Phone: 734-647-7101, email: ) will be happy to assist you.
Transfer students usually enroll at the beginning of their junior year. The College expects that you have completed nearly all of the common college requirements, including four terms of calculus, two of physics, one of chemistry and computing, as well as humanities and social science courses, before enrolling. A minimum grade point average of "B" (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) is required. The transfer office maintains lists of equivalent courses at most Michigan institutions, as well as some out-of-state colleges. A prospective transfer student is advised to obtain the relevant list, to ensure that credit can be transferred.

Financial Aid

For information on Financial Aid and Work-study programs, contact the University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid. For information about additional College of Engineering scholarships and aid, contact the Engineering Scholarships Office, (Phone: 734-647-7113, email: