[ Download CV ]
Michael W. Liemohn
Phone: (734) 763-6229
Fax: (734) 647-3083
Ph.D., M.S., Atmospheric and Space Science, University of Michigan, 1997
Plasma transport in the ionosphere and magnetosphere of the Earth and other solar system bodies
Prospective PhD students: I typically have 3 or 4 PhD students at any one time, which means that I take a new grad student most years. My current projects span global magnetospheric magnetospheric dynamics, energetic particle transport, and MI-coupling for the space environments of not only Earth but also other planets.
Specializations and Research Interests
- Energetic particle transport in the Earth's inner magnetosphere
- Electron and ion transport in the Mars space environment
- Kinetic theory and modeling
- Interactions between hot and cold plasma components
- Plasmaspheric dynamics and modeling
- Ring current dynamics and modeling
- Global magnetospheric dynamics and modeling
- Mars pick-up ion sources, motion, and fate
- Solar wind and photoelectrons in the strong crustal field region of Mars
- Plasma wave excitation and wave-particle interactions
- Giant planet plasma dynamics
- Solar wind electron physics
Honors, Awards and Accomplishments
- PhD committees chaired or co-chaired: 6 successfully defended (Xiaohua Fang, Jichun Zhang, Xia Cai, Raluca Ilie, Shannon Curry, Roxanne Katus, and Shaosui Xu) and 3 in progress (Blake Johnson, Lois Smith, and Abby Azari)
- Outstanding Research Scientist Award, University of Michigan, 2002
- Awarded National Research Council Resident Research Associateship at the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
- Refereed papers for leading peer-reviewed journals in space science and proposals for many agencies
- NASA Heliophysics Subcommittee, September 2014 - present (vice-chair, 2015 - present)
- AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy Section Executive Committee, 2013 - present
- JGR-Space Physics Editor-in-Chief, December 2013 - present
- NSF GEM Strategic Planning White Paper Task Force, 2012 - 2013
- NAS/NRC Decadal Strategy for Solar and Space Physics, SWMI Panel and Education Working Group, 2010-2011
- Chair, NSF GEM Steering Committee, 2009 - 2011
- NASA Living With a Star TR&T Steering Committee, 2007 - 2009
- Chair, NASA Geospace Management and Operations Working Group (G-MOWG), 2005 - 2007
- Research Area Coordinator, NSF GEM Program, Inner magnetoshpere/Storms Campaign, 2003 - 2009
- Chair, AOSS Graduate Program committee, 2009 - 2010
- Chair, Graduate student recruitment committee, AOSS Department, 2006 - 2012
As of February 2016, author or co-author of 168 peer-reviewed publications in print, press, or submitted (50 first author) and 489 scientific presentations (76 invited).
Please see my CV (link above) for more information about my publications and research activities.
My ISI Web of Science ResearcherID number is H-8703-2012.
My ORCID number is 0000-0002-7039-2631.