Adjunct Research Scientist
- Ph.D. Earth System Science, University of California – Irvine (2016)
- M.Sc. Earth System Science, University of California – Irvine (2012)
- B.Sc. Geosciences, University of Texas (2010)
- Climate variability and change
- Large-scale atmospheric dynamics of landfalling atmospheric rivers
- Precipitation and convection representation in climate models
- Science communication
- Graduate student representative to the University of California Sustainability Steering Committee (2014 – 2015)
- Graduate student representative to the Global Climate Leadership Council for the University of California system (2014 – 2015)
- Graduate student representative to the Department of Earth System Science, University of California Irvine (2013 – 2014)
- Outreach instructor to regional elementary schools with Climate, Literacy, Empowerment and iNquiry (CLEAN) education (09/11 – 05/16)
- University of Michigan President’s Postdoctoral Fellowship (2016)
- Faculty Endowed Fellowship, School of Physical Sciences, University of California Irvine (2015)
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Program Fellowship (2014)
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship (2011)
- Valedictorian, Departmental honors, Jackson School of Geosciences, University of Texas (May 2010)
Payne, A. E. and G. Magnusdottir (2016), Persistent landfalling atmospheric rivers over the West Coast of North America, Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres, 121(22), 13,287–13,300, doi:10.1002/2016JD025549.
Payne, A. E., M. F. Jansen, and T. W. Cronin (2015), Conceptual model analysis of the influence of temperature feedbacks on polar amplification, Geophysical Research Letters, 42, 9561–9570, doi: 10.1002/2015GL065889.
Payne, A. E. and G. Magnusdottir (2015), An evaluation of atmospheric rivers over the North Pacific in CMIP5 and their response to warming under RCP 8.5, Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres, 120(11), 173 – 11, 190, doi: 10.1002/2015JD023586.
Payne, A. E. and G. Magnusdottir (2014), Dynamics of landfalling atmospheric rivers over the North Pacific in thirty years of MERRA reanalysis. Journal of Climate, 27(18), 7133 – 7150, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-14-00034.1.
Breecker, D. O., A. E. Payne, J. Quade, J. L. Banner, C. E. Ball, K. W. Meyer, and B. D. Cowan (2012), The sources and sinks of CO2 in caves under mixed woodland and grassland vegetation.Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 96, 230 – 246, doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2012.08.023.