Professor and Associate Chair for Academic Affairs
Faculty Associate of CRLT-in-Engineering
Professor in Applied Physics and Robotics Institute
Concentration: Space Weather
- B.A., 1987, University of Alaska - Fairbanks
- M. A., 1990, Boston University
- Ph.D., 1993, Boston University (Jeff Hughes, Advisor)
- Space Plasma Physics
- Magnetospheric and Heliospheric Physics
- Upper Atmospheric Electricity
- Magnetometer Sensor Development
- Pre-College Space Science Education
- Education Activities http://space.engin.umich.edu/
Honors, Awards and Accomplishments
- Editor, Geophysical Research Letters, 2004-2006
- Editor-in-Chief, Reviews of Geophysics, 2009-2017
- UM Raymond J. and Monica E. Schultz Outreach and Diversity Award, 2013
- UM Harold R. Johnson Diversity Service Awar, 2014
- UM Provost Teaching Innovation Award, 2014
- AGU Waldo Smith Union Award, 2016
- Member, AGU SPA Executive Committee
- Member, AGU Publications Committee
- Member, AGU Ethics Task Force
- Member, NRC-CSSP Decadal Study: Panel on Solar Wind - Magnetosphere Interactions
- American Geophysical Union
- National Science Teachers Association
- American Society for Engineering Education
156) Krall, J., J. D. Huba, V. K. Jordanova, R. E. Denton, T. Carranza, and M. B. Moldwin (2016), Measurement and modeling of the refilling plasmasphere during 2001, J. Geophys. Res. Space Physics, 121, 2226–2248, doi:10.1002/2015JA022126.
157) Ellington, S. M., M. B. Moldwin, and M. W. Liemohn (2016), Local time asymmetries and toroidal field line resonances: Global magnetospheric modeling in SWMF, J. Geophys. Res. Space Physics, 121, 2033–2045, doi:10.1002/2015JA021920.
158) Bandić, M., G. Verbanac, M. B. Moldwin, V. Pierrard, and G. Piredda (2016), MLT dependence in the relationship between plasmapause, solar wind, and geomagnetic activity based on CRRES: 1990–1991, J. Geophys. Res. Space Physics, 121, 4397–4408, doi:10.1002/2015JA022278.
159) Ponder, Brandon M., Arie Sheinker and Mark B. Moldwin, Using Cellphone Magnetometers for Science on CubeSats, JoSS, Vol. 05, No. 02 (May 2016) pp. 449–456
160) Yizengaw, E., M. B. Moldwin, E. Zesta, M. Magoun, R. Pradipta, C. M. Biouele, A. B. Rabiu, O. K. Obrou, Z. Bamba, and E. R. de Paula (2016), Response of the equatorial ionosphere to the geomagnetic DP 2 current system, Geophys. Res. Lett., 43, 7364–7372, doi:10.1002/2016GL070090.