3rd Year, Doctoral Candidate
Space Policy Thinker
EducationMS Atmospheric, Oceanic & Space SciencesBSE Earth System Science and EngineeringCertificate, Center for Entrepreneurship
Investigating signatures of Interplanetary Coronal Mass Ejections in in-situ heavy-ion composition measurements.
- Using a combination of remote-sensing observations of the Sun and near-Earth in-situ solar wind measurements to determine the evolution of the main physical parameters of CME plasma.
- Determining the partition of the thermal and kinetic energy of CME plasmas.
In addition to my position as a burgeoning space scientist, I am a sustainability enthusiast, actor, social justice activist and social entrepreneur. These identities inform my interests to:
- Engage a new generation of space scientists by exploring innovative tools for space science education in middle and high schools
- Develop appropriate space policy to propel and mitiagate space activity to ensure the innovative long-term and sustainable use of our space environment
- Bring the conversation of the importance of diversity and equity in our communities to the forefront
Specializations and Research Interests
Geoeffective Coronal Mass Ejections | Connecting Solar Remote-Sensing & Heliospheric In-situ Observations | Space Weather | Solar Wind Dynamics & Evolution
Honors, Awards and Accomplishments
NASA Earth and Space Science Fellow (NESSF 2016)
Graduate Fellow, Michigan Institute of Plasma Science and Engineering (2015)
Kocher, M., Lepri, S. T., Landi, E., Zhao, L., and Manchester IV, W. B., Anatomy of Depleted Interplanetary Coronal Mass Ejections, The Astrophysical Journal, accepted, 2016.
Zhao, L., E. Landi, S. T. Lepri, M. Kocher, L. A. Fisk, Anomalous Composition in Slow Solar Wind as a Signature of Magnetic Reconnection in its Source Region, Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series, accepted, 2016
Zhao, L., E. Landi, M. Kocher, S. T. Lepri, L. A. Fisk, & T. H. Zurbuchen, Anomalously low C6+/C5+ Ratio in Solar Wind: ACE/SWICS Observation, AIP conference Proceedings, 1720, 020006, doi: 10.1063/1.4943807, 2016
Y. Ko, A. Roberts, S. Lepri, M. Kocher, Slow solar wind boundaries and implication for its formation, AAS/AGU Triennial Earth-Sun Summit, 1, 108.03, 2015