[ Download CV ]
President’s Postdoctoral Fellow
[ Link to website ]
Ph.D. Earth System Science, University of California - Irvine (2016)
M.Sc. Earth System Science, University of California - Irvine (2012)
B.Sc. Geosciences, University of Texas (2010)
Specializations and Research Interests
- Climate variability and change
- Large-scale atmospheric dynamics of landfalling atmospheric rivers
- Precipitation and convection representation in climate models
- Science communication
Honors, Awards and Accomplishments
- University of Michigan President's Postdoctoral Fellowship (2016)
- Faculty Endowed Fellowship, School of Physical Sciences, University of California Irvine (2015)
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Program Fellowship (2014)
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship (2011)
- Valedictorian, Departmental honors, Jackson School of Geosciences, University of Texas (May 2010)
- Graduate student representative to the University of California Sustainability Steering Committee (2014 - 2015)
- Graduate student representative to the Global Climate Leadership Council for the University of California system (2014 - 2015)
- Graduate student representative to the Department of Earth System Science, University of California Irvine (2013 - 2014)
- Outreach instructor to regional elementary schools with Climate, Literacy, Empowerment and iNquiry (CLEAN) education (09/11 - 05/16)
Payne, A. E. and G. Magnusdottir (2016), Persistent landfalling atmospheric rivers over the West Coast of North America, Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres, 121(22), 13,287–13,300, doi:10.1002/2016JD025549.
Payne, A. E., M. F. Jansen, and T. W. Cronin (2015), Conceptual model analysis of the influence of temperature feedbacks on polar amplification, Geophysical Research Letters, 42, 9561–9570, doi: 10.1002/2015GL065889.
Payne, A. E. and G. Magnusdottir (2015), An evaluation of atmospheric rivers over the North Pacific in CMIP5 and their response to warming under RCP 8.5, Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres, 120(11), 173 - 11, 190, doi: 10.1002/2015JD023586.
Payne, A. E. and G. Magnusdottir (2014), Dynamics of landfalling atmospheric rivers over the North Pacific in thirty years of MERRA reanalysis. Journal of Climate, 27(18), 7133 - 7150, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-14-00034.1.
Breecker, D. O., A. E. Payne, J. Quade, J. L. Banner, C. E. Ball, K. W. Meyer, and B. D. Cowan (2012), The sources and sinks of CO2 in caves under mixed woodland and grassland vegetation.Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 96, 230 - 246, doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2012.08.023.