Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering in the College of Engineering at the University of Michigan

Undergraduate Program FAQ

How can I find out more about the College of Engineering Undergraduate Program?

Visit the College of Engineering's 'About Us' web page for information about the overall College program.

What are the program requirements for a Climate & Space BSE degree?

The overall goals of the Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering (CLASP) Undergraduate Programs are to provide students with the basic knowledge and skills they need to frame and solve open-ended scientific problems and to prepare them for graduate education in scientific research and/or other professional fields.

The CLASP Undergraduate program has seven types of course requirements that must be fulfilled for you to successfully complete the program (128 total credits).

  • There are 55 CoE credit hours required by all programs.
  • For Climate and Meteorology B.S.E students, there are 38 hours of required core courses and 35 hours of concentration courses for both the Meteorology concentration and the Climate Science and Impact Engineering concentration.
  • For Space Sciences and Engineering B.S.E. students, there are 53 hours of core courses, 10 hours of Technical Electives and 10 hours of Unrestricted Electives.
  • CLASP courses are listed as either CLIMATE or SPACE in the catalog (i.e., SPACE 101 or CLIMATE 105).
  • Technical Electives are those electives selected by students that must be technical in nature.
  • General Electives are those selected by students with no restrictions.

How do I enter the Climate & Space undergraduate program?

All CLASP students must be enrolled in the U-M College of Engineering and then may "declare" Climate & Space as early as their second semester. High school seniors should apply to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Students who are enrolled in another two- or four-year college or university, or in another college at the University of Michigan, may apply for transfer admission

To declare Climate & Space as your academic program, please contact Lindsay Coleman, or 734-764-3282.

How do I apply for financial aid?

For information on Financial Aid contact the University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid. The College of Engineering has additional scholarship and loan programs; contact the Engineering Scholarships Office. Work-study programs are frequently available to those that qualify.

How do I visit Climate & Space?

Personal visits are easily arranged. You may make arrangements by contacting Lindsay Coleman, or 734-764-3282. The College also arranges tours of North Campus each weekday afternoon, with an information session and an opportunity to see a Program Advisor.

Where is Climate & Space located and how do I get to the department?

Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering is housed in the Space Research Building (SRB), located at the intersection of Beal Avenue and Hayward Street on North Campus.

The easiest route to North Campus is to exit the US-23 Expressway at Plymouth Road, following it west towards Ann Arbor. After about one mile, turn left at the light onto Huron Parkway, and right on Hubbard Road (first light, about one mile). Keep straight at the stop sign and the Space Research Building is on your right in about a quarter of a mile. Visitor Parking is on top of the hill shortly before reaching SRB, on the left side of the road.


Click here for Maps of North and Central Campus, Ann Arbor and Vicinity. CLASP is located in the Space Research Building on North Campus.

What types of research and employment are available?

Undergraduate students are encouraged to become involved in the extensive research program in the Climate & Space department. There are several ways to accomplish this:

  • Through the University's Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP), which is open to first and second year undergraduate students. Students are paired with a faculty member, and work on a research project. There are many such partnerships in CLASP.
  • As part of the Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program. Sponsored by the National Science Foundation, it provides an opportunity to work intensively on a research project in partnership with one of the Climate & Space faculty. It usually takes place during the summer and features special seminars on a variety of research projects in CLASP. It pays a stipend, sufficient to meet living expenses in Ann Arbor during the summer. It is intended primarily for juniors and seniors. It also accepts applicants from outside the University.
  • Direct employment on one of the Climate & Space research projects. This is usually individually arranged between the student and the faculty member.

In addition, there are several possibilities for summer employment and internships outside the University. Some are with organizations in the Ann Arbor area, the National Weather Service stations often offer internships, as do several US government agencies, including NASA and NOAA.

Where can I find information on the cost to attend?

Information about the costs to attend the University of Michigan are available on the Office of Registrar web site.