Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering in the College of Engineering at the University of Michigan

Frequently asked questions about the name change

Frequently asked questions about our name change
Will the department still offer degrees in atmospheric science (meteorology)?
Yes. Students can now earn a Climate and Meteorology BSE. In the past, students could earn a BSE in Earth System Science and Engineering with a meteorology concentration.
I'm curious to know where the ocean sciences are (or will be) housed.  Is that considered part of climate?
Oceanic sciences moved to a department in LSA during the 1980s. The department has a research group dedicated to Physical Oceanography and Ocean Modeling. To learn more, please visit
What will the PhD degrees be called?
The PhD name has not changed. It is part of an upcoming discussion.
Which department name should I use on my resume? The old or new?
That is up to you. If you prefer to use Climate & Space, you could add, “(formerly Atmospheric, Oceanic and Space Sciences).
For people who already have degrees that say AOSS, will the department be searchable online?
Yes. The website will have a new page dedicated to the history of how the Atmospheric, Oceanic and Space Sciences Department (AOSS) became the Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering Department on September 1, 2015, and users who search the old name will be directed to this new page.
Will new business cards be issued to faculty containing the new CLaSP name?
Yes. New business cards will be issued by September.
Can you let me know if we are supposed to be using the new name on publications or if there is some future time when this will be initiated?
Please start using the new name on publications starting on September 1.